Financial aid (GRA/GTA) is awarded beginning in the fall semester only. All assistantship applications and corresponding materials are due February 15th.
Graduate Research Assistantships (GRAs), with an annual stipend, are available for award to M.A. students. GRAs typically work with a faculty member as a research assistant for ten hours a week during the academic year.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs), with an annual stipend, are available for award only to Ph.D. students. GTAs typically teach undergraduate survey courses in U.S. and world history during the academic year.
For M.H.P. Students: M.H.P. Graduate Research Assistantship applications are accepted throughout the year.
In addition to the funding available at the college level, the Department of History is able to offer some financial support to M.A., M.H.P. and Ph.D. students.
Named fellowships are available for award to students who apply for and receive a Graduate Research Assistantship.
- Ethel Illges Woodruff Fellowship in Southern History (Awarded to a master’s student who shows outstanding academic promise and is dedicated to the study of Southern history)
- Margaret Ewing Endowment for the Enrichment of Research in Family Oral Histories
An additional fellowship is available for M.H.P. students:
- Jenny Thurston Fellowship in Historic Preservation (Annual award and internship, with the Atlanta Urban Design Commission, for an outstanding historic preservationist in Atlanta)
Two named prizes recognize the accomplishments of graduate students:
- The John A. Alexander Memorial Award (given annually to the outstanding graduate student in history as judged by the faculty of the Department of History)
- The John M. Matthews Distinguished Thesis and Dissertation Award (given annually to a graduate student in the M.A. or Ph.D. program for an outstanding thesis or dissertation completed during the previous two-year cycle)
Students should also explore external funding opportunities such as the Southern Regional Education Board’s Dissertation Year Fellowship Award